Beta 4 Feedback

Hi fellow PantherX team,

here are some nitpicks and impressions I got:

• navigation in TUI (blue and red) feels slow in QEMU, more sluggish then it was when I installed upstream guix or nonguix in QEMU
  • manual loadkeys de required after starting shell (issue exists in Guix as well)
  • progress bars looks a bit strange at the end of the line, e.g. <?, ?it/s
  • there is no minimum recommend disk size. I first tried 20G which was to small.
  • it takes its time (around 20 minutes), but there were no local builds required :slight_smile:
  • you get hit a bit hard with pop ups after the first boot…
  • This GUI update thing is nice! The progress bar could be a bit more indicative on how much remaining.
  • At the installation I set the locale to de_DE.utf8 many stuff is in English. Keyboard needs to be manually set in LXQT settings.
  • The system update fails, it crashes while computing the Guix derivation. I can send the crash log later today…

I need to test all this account thingy and other stuff later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi jonsger,

We really appreciate you taking the time to try PantherX.

The installer on the ISO of Beta 4 is absolutely horrible and we’ve already revised it significantly.
In fact, Beta 5 is coming out in a few days.

A couple of other points:

• Those install-progress bars are mostly gone from the new version :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
  • Good point on the disk size. Always better to handle this early on. I’ll create an issue.
  • I totally agree; 2/3 pop-ups on initial boot should be removed. We’ve got this planned.
  • For updates it’s difficult to determine the time required in advance, particularly if a substitute is unavailable and needs to be build locally. I also find this unacceptable and we’re working on a solution.

The system update fails, it crashes while computing the Guix derivation.

This would be very helpful indeed. I suppose it looks approx. like this?:

In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1685:16  1 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
  1685:16  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)

ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
In procedure string->utf8: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting string): #<derivation /gnu/store/lsmfqhv49dgma64s78lpjar0qivd9qfk-profile.drv => /gnu/store/84pgs96q3nqqha45141qd652q088jpcd-profile 7fe78aea26e0>

There’s a problem with time machine that affects both px update apply as well as our Software application. It’s the primary reason we haven’t released a Beta 5. You can still update using the regular approach:

# root
guix pull --disable-authentication --channels=/etc/guix/system.scm
guix system reconfigure /etc/system.scm

At the installation I set the locale to de_DE.utf8 many stuff is in English.

Alle unsere eigenen GUI-Programme wurden noch nicht übersetzt.
Wir werden das in den nächsten Monaten in Angriff nehmen.

Enjoy your time :slightly_smiling_face:

@jonsger hi again, we’ve just released our latest beta version. Some of the points you mentioned have already been addressed. The remaining shall find their way into Beta 7. Once again, thank you very much for your feedback!